Who do we see?
We enjoy working with anyone from children to retired folks. We also work together with elite athletes and well as the many wonderful recreational athletes, dancers, musicians, and business professionals of Calgary.
Our physiotherapy services include:
Hands On Therapy
Spinal adjustments and joint mobilizations
Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS)
IMS is a needling technique that helps to reduce adverse tone in tight muscle bands or trigger points that contribute to pain and dysfunction. By targeting localized areas of tightness with the needle insertion a reflex relaxation is produced in the muscle. This helps to relieve pressure on tender joint structures and in the muscles themselves which in turn influences pain and inflammation produced by the adverse tightness. A special assessment is done to determine if this modality of treatment is appropriate for you.
Electrotherapy treatments including;
- Interferential (IFC)
- Transcutaneous Nerve Stimulation (TNS)
Western style acupuncture concentrates on pain reduction and mobility improvement. Advanced training and certification is needed.
At Marda Loop Physiotherapy, we provide Functional Assessments to find the particular physical limitations that lead to restrictions in sport performance, corrective programs to eliminate these physical limitations, and to improve performance and reduce injury risk. We have the highest post graduate training in Sport Physiotherapy and have worked with Olympic Champions to local champions.
Our Physiotherapists work on the following Canadian National Teams:
- Speedskating – Paul Hunter & Shannon Leydon
- Wrestling – Nicole Hunter
- Swimming – Julianna Bourne
- Freestyle Skiing – Somer Wilson
- Canoe/Kayak – Greg Redman
- Track & Field – Paul Hunter
- Golf – Greg Redman
Post-operative therapy for Spinal Surgery, Hip and Knee replacements, ACL reconstruction, Rotator Cuff repairs.
At Marda Loop Physiotherapy Golf, we provide assessments to find the particular physical limitations that lead to swing imperfections, corrective programs to eliminate these physical limitations, and to improve performance and reduce injury risk. We have the highest post graduate training in golf related injuries and have worked with golfers from the PGA Tour to the weekend hacker.
Back education program teaching patients with back pain how to manage the injury with education and specific individualized exercises.
A Certified Hand Therapist (CHT) is a physical or occupational therapist who has a minimum of five years of clinical experience, including 4000 or more hours in direct practice of hand therapy. A CHT has successfully completed the comprehensive Hand Therapy Certification Exam, which is a test of advanced clinical skills and theory in upper quadrant rehabilitation.
Carmen Chivilo specializes in the assessment and treatment of conditions including, but not limited to:
- Cumulative trauma disorders
- Flexor/extensor tendon injury
- Repetitive strain injury (i.e. Carpal Tunnel syndrome, Blackberry Thumb)
- Inflammatory and degenerative arthritis
- Vascular disorders
- Peripheral nerve and compression disorders and injury O Post surgery of the upper limb
A variety of techniques and tools may be used with hand and upper extremity conditions include:
- Fabrication of custom splints to stabilize and support joints
- Custom home exercise programs
- Exercises to increase muscle function for strength and endurance
- Ergonomic modification
- Fabrication or providing new equipment and teaching techniques
- Manual therapy